Food Shop Licence

Description :

For the operation of a food shop where there is retail sale of food and/or beverage.

This form may take you 20 mins to fill in.

You will need the following information to fill in the form:
1. SingPass.
2. Particulars of applicant (Individual, Company, Society or Authorised Person) such as name, NRIC, address and contact details.
3. Particulars of food handlers and / or Food Hygiene Officers (where applicable).

Please note the licence fee will be revised to S$195 (1-year licence) with effect from 1 January 2015.

We will contact you for further documents if required within 5 working days of receipt of the application.


1 Do I need to apply for this licence?

You will need to apply for a Food Shop Licence if you intend to operate a retail food outlet where food and/or drink are sold wholly by retail. This is a requirement under the Environmental Public Health Act. The purpose of licensing is to ensure cleanliness and food safety in food retail outlets and to prevent food-borne diseases.

Examples of businesses that required a food shop licence are :- restaurants, cakeshops, eating
houses, coffeeshops, food courts, snack and drink counters, market produce shops, private
markets, food caterers, foodshop (pets allowed)and mobile food wagon.

Please note that from 1 June 2014 onwards all new applicants for food catering licences are required to submit an FSMS plan within the first three months of the licence issuance date.For more details, pls refer to the internet link below.
2 What conditions do I need to fulfill?

If you are taking over an existing food outlet, please ensure that the previous licensee had surrendered /cancelled his licence before you submit an application for the licence. Otherwise, there will be delay in processing your application.

The criteria for approval are as follows:

(1) - Eligibility of Applicant.
Only the following can apply for a licence :
(a) Singaporean or Permanent Resident for an individual
(b) Company registered with the Accounting & Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA)
(c) Association/ Society registered with Registrar of Societies
Application by a firm registered as a Business with ACRA (formerly RCB) cannot be accepted. The sole proprietor or active partner must apply for a licence in his name

(2) - For self-employed persons, please ensure that your Medisave contributions are paid up before applying for a licence.

(3) - Submission of relevant supporting documents

(4) - Compliance of the list of hygiene requirements issued by the relevant NEA Regional Office. (note: You may refer to the Code of Practice of Environmental Health at for more information on the general design of a food retail outlet.)

(5) Additional conditions at the following respective links below:-

For Foodshop (pets allowed) licensing information and applications

For Mobile food wagon licensing information and applications

Qn : What should be the name of the licensee for a Food Shop License if I also wish to apply work passes for foreign workers?

Ans : To employ foreign workers, you must apply for work passes from the Ministry of Manpower. Please request for the Food Shop Licence to be issued in the name of the body corporate. Food Shop Licenses issued in the name of an individual eg a Director will not be acceptable for the purpose of work pass applications.

For more information on work pass related matters, please refer to MOM webpage or call MOM Contact Centre at 64385122.

3 What supporting documents do I need to submit?

You are required to furnish the following documents to NEA for processing:

a. Approval from the land agency e.g. URA and HDB (referred to as planning permission from land agencies)*
b. Tenancy agreement#
c. Details of applicant - one of the following (where applicable):
i. Individual - Both sides of NRIC
ii. Company - Information Business Profile from Accounting & Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA)
iii. Society - Certificate of Registration from Registrar of Societies
d. Basic food hygiene certificate/Refresher food hygiene certificate of foodhandlers
e. Food hygiene officer certificate (for Food caterers, Restaurants, Foodcourts and Canteens only)
f. Cleaning program
g. Layout plan of premises (in scaled metric units)
h. Letter of authorisation (when submission of application is not done by intended licensee/director of company holding the licence)
i. Pest control contract covering the control of rodents, cockroaches and flies during the year-long licensing period. The inspection frequency of the food shop premises covered in the contract shall be at least once a month to detect any sign of pest infestation.
j. Supplementary Information form to capture business name, type of food sold, business operating hours, etc.
k. Food Safety Management Plan (with critical control points identified) or proof of registration for the “WSQ Apply FSMS for Food Service Establishments” course. (For Food Caterers only). Refer to the following link for more details (
l. Photos showing the interior and exterior of the catering vehicle
m. Vehicle log card or tenancy agreement for rental vehicle to prove ownership of catering vehicle
n. Cleaning program for catering vehicle

* Please note that this is potential pitfall for applicant. Applicant should ensure the relevant planning permission is obtained, prior to signing any tenancy agreement and investing in renovations/equipment for the premises.
# Please note that the submission of a tenancy agreement is not required during the initial stage of application for a licence. The tenancy agreement will only be required at the final stage, before NEA approves and issues the licence. You are advised not to sign any tenancy agreement, until the land agency concerned has approved the relevant use for the premises, and you are reasonably confident you can meet with the COPEH requirements by also verifying with the owner/landlord on the necessary renovations like installation of exhaust system, pipings for sinks etc.
4 How soon can my application be processed?

The total time taken by an applicant from the start of a food shop application to receipt of licence can typically vary from a week to a few months, depending on time taken to renovate the premises to meet the requirements, our pre-licensing checks on site to ensure compliance, complete and accurate submission of required documents, and payment of licence fee.
If you are taking over an existing food outlet, please note that the previous licensee will need write in to cancel his licence, before we can approve your application. Otherwise, there will be a delay of at least 2 week, as NEA will need to write to the existing licensee to confirm his licence can be cancelled..
Some key milestones are as follows:-
• We will respond to you within 5 working days upon receipt of the application.
• If the application is incomplete without basic details of applicant and layout plan of premises, you will be informed to furnish the information within 2 weeks. Upon furnishing the information, we will notify you on the requirements to comply for your application.
• After notification of the requirements, you may commence the set up or renovation of your premises according to the layout plan submitted in the application.
• Once completed, please inform the licensing officer to arrange for a pre-licensing site inspection to verify compliance.
• We will issue an approval letter to you within 5 working days after our pre-licensing inspection if everything is in order. This letter will also serve as notification to you to collect the licence.
• The licence will be issued to you upon payment of the licence fee.
5 How much does this licence cost and how long is it valid?

The Food Shop Licence* costs S$130.00 and is valid for one year.
For a foodshop operating as an entertainment outlet* (pub, bar, discotheque, night club etc), the licence will cost only $66 instead.

*The licence fee will be revised to S$195 (1-year licence) with effect from 1 January 2015.

Please note no refund of fees will be allowed once payment has been made.
6 Who can I contact for further details?

For OBLS technical enquiries, please contact OBLS at or Tel: 68981595.
For general licensing enquires, please contact the National Environment Agency Call Centre at
Tel : 1800-2255632 or 1800-CALL NEA. For further assistance, please contact any of the following Regional Offices or email us at

South-West Regional Office
5 Albert Winsemius Lane
Singapore 129787
Tel: 64660544 Fax: 64699082

North-West Regional Office
18 Attap Valley Road
Singapore 759910
Tel: 67567678 Fax: 67566848

Central Regional Office
4545 Jalan Bukit Merah
Singapore 159466
Tel:68546400 Fax: 62728814

North-East Regional Office
174 Sin Ming Drive
Singapore 575715
Tel:64553177 Fax: 64582080

South-East Regional Office
70 Tannery Lane
Singapore 347810
Tel:67474811 Fax: 67473863

You can also write to us at:

Environmental Health Department
National Environment Agency
40 Scotts Road #21-00
ENV Building
Singapore 228231

For enquiries on grease trap installation, you may refer to the Water Reclamation (Network) Department, PUB for the installation of grease trap prior to operating the foodshop. Application for carrying out new sanitary works at existing premises/shops (Form F)can be submitted online at PUB website at Alternatively you may contact the following:
1) Mr Teo Mok Tong at 6731 3256 (email:
2) Mr Low Chiap Weng at 6731 3245 (email:

Please be informed that it is an offence under the Sewerage and Drainage Act for non-compliance with the grease trap requirement. The penalty of the offence is a fine up to $5,000.
7 Other frequently asked questions

1) I operate a pub/ discotheque and intend to have a drink counter selling alcoholic drinks. Do I need to apply for a licence?

Yes. You will need to apply for a food shop licence if you intend to operate a drink or snack counter in your premises.

2) I am a foreigner with a valid employment pass issued by MOM. Can I apply for the licence in my name?

No. You will have to form a company that is registered with the Accounting & Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) (formerly Registry of Companies and Business (RCB)) and apply for the licence in the company’s name.

3) Can I update, renew or terminate my food shop licence through OBLS?

Yes. You may update, renew and terminate your foodshop licence through OBLS by going to

4) Where can I obtain information on the general design of a food retail outlet?

You may refer to the Code of Practice of Environmental Health at

5) My application for the licence is approved and the Regional Office has informed me of the in-principle approval. Can I commence the operation of my foodshop?

You can only commence the operation of the foodshop after we have verified that you have complied with all the health requirements and we have issued you with the licence.

6) What is the consequence if I am unable to comply with some of the hygiene requirements?

If you are unable to comply with any of our hygiene requirements, you will not be issued with the licence.

7) What will be the consequences if I provide false information in my application for a licence?

Providing false information in your application is a serious offence. Your licence can be suspended, cancelled or revoked. Enforcement action can also be taken against you.

8) I have taken over an existing food shop but I am unable to contact the previous licensee to surrender/cancel his licence for the same premises. How do I apply for the licence in this instance?

You can still submit your application together with all the supporting documents to us. However, for such cases, we will need to write to the previous licensee to confirm whether he is still operating the business at the said premises. If the previous licensee indicates that he is no longer operating the said premises or did not response, then we can proceed to process your application. The processing time for such cases will take about 2 weeks.

9) I intend to set up a food premises that make food items (eg. buns, breads, nasi lemak, otah etc) for supply to other food shops and food stalls. Do I need to apply for a food shop licence?

You need not apply for a food shop licence if your proposed food business does not involve the retail sale of food directly to the customers. However, you may need to obtain a food factory licence from Food Establishment Regulation Department (FERD), AVA for your proposed business.

10) Do I need to apply for a food shop licence if I were to prepare and cook food from my home for sale to the public?

Please be informed that under the current regulations, it is an offence to sell home cooked food to the public.