Food Stall Licence

Description :

For the operation of a food stall where is retail sale of food and/or beverage, in a coffeeshop, eating house, food court or canteen.

With effect from 1 Jan 2015, the licence fee will be revised to $32, except for those foodstalls in primary, secondary and junior college school canteens.

If your food stall is located in a NEA/HDB food centre/market, please apply for a Hawker Stall Licence from the Hawkers Department (NEA) instead. Please refer to the National Enviroment Agency website at for more information.

This form may take you 20 mins to fill in.

You will need the following information to fill in the form:
1. SingPass.
2. Particulars of applicant (Individual, Company, Society or Authorised Person) such as name, NRIC, address and contact details.
3. Particulars of food handlers.

We will contact you for further documents if required within 5 working days of receipt of the application


1 Do I need to apply for this licence?

You will need to apply for a Food Stall Licence if you intend to operate a retail food stall where food and/or drink are sold wholly by retail. It is a requirement under the Environmental Public Health Act. The purpose of licensing is to ensure cleanliness and food safety in food retail outlets and to prevent food-borne diseases.
Examples of businesses that require a food stall licence are :- food stalls in private eating houses, coffeeshops, food courts, canteens, private markets.

You may submit your application for a Food Stall Licence online through only if your food stall is not located in a NEA/HDB/JTC food centre/market.

If you are interested in operating a hawker stall in a NEA/HDB/JTC food centre/market, you need to first bid for a food stall in NEA/HDB/JTCs tender. Once you have secured a food stall in a successful bid and signed the tenancy agreement with NEA/HDB/JTC, a hawker stall licence will then be issued to you by the Hawkers Department of NEA.

For enquiries on hawker stall licence, you may wish to contact:

Hawkers Centre Division
National Environment Agency
HDB Hub, East Wing, #26-01
480 Lorong 6 Toa Payoh
Singapore 310480
Tel: 1800-2255632

2 What conditions do I need to fulfill?

If you are taking over an existing food stall, please ensure that the previous licensee had surrendered /cancelled his licence before you submit an application for the licence. Otherwise, there will be delay in processing your application.

The criteria for approval are as follows:

(1) - Eligibility of Applicant.

Only the following can apply for a licence :
(a) Singaporean or Permanent Resident for an individual
(b) Company registered with the Accounting & Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA)
(c) Association/ Society registered with Registrar of Societies

Note: Application by a firm registered as a Business with ACRA (formerly RCB) cannot be accepted. The sole proprietor or active partner must apply for a licence in his name.

(2) - For self-employed persons, please ensure that your Medisave contributions are paid up before applying for a licence.

(3) - Submission of relevant supporting documents.

(4) - Compliance of the list of hygiene requirements. Applicants should refer to the list of hygiene requirements issued by the NEA Regional Offices and use it to plan the set up of their premises. For more information on this list, please contact National Environment Agency Call Centre at
Tel : 1800-2255632 or 1800-CALL NEA. (note: You may refer to the Code of Practice of Environmental Health at for more information on the general design of a food retail outlet.)
3 What supporting documents do I need to submit?

You are required to furnish the following documents to NEA for processing:

a. Details of applicant - one of the following (where applicable):
i) Both sides of NRIC [for application as Individual] or
ii) Information Business Profile from Accounting & Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) [for application as Company] or
iii) Certificate of Registration from Registrar of Societies [for application as Society]
b. Basic food hygiene certificate/ refresher food hygiene certificate of foodhandlers
c. Layout plan of premises (in scaled metric units)
d. Letter of authorisation (Only when filer option is selected)
e. Tenancy agreement
4 How soon can my application be processed?

We will send out a letter reply to you within 3 working days of receipt of the application. If the application is incomplete, you will be informed to furnish the pending documents/information within 2 weeks. If the application is complete, we will issue the approval letter to you within 5 working days. Upon payment of the licence fee, the licence will be issued to you.
5 How much does this licence cost and how long is it valid?

The Food Stall Licence costs S$13.00 and is valid for one year. Licensees are given the option to pay $26.00 for a food stall licence that is valid for two years.

Please note that with effect from 1 Jan 2015, the licence fee will be revised to $32 for a 1-year licence period, except for those foodstalls in primary, secondary and junior college school canteens.

Please note that no refund of fees will be allowed once payment has been made.
6 Who can I contact for further details?

For OBLS technical enquiries, please contact OBLS at or Tel: 68981595.
For general licensing enquires, please contact the National Environment Agency Call Centre at
Tel : 1800-2255632 or 1800-CALL NEA. For further assistance, please contact any of the following Regional Offices or email us at

South-West Regional Office
5 Albert Winsemius Lane
Singapore 126787
Tel:64660544 Fax:64699082

North-West Regional Office
18 Attap Valley Road
Singapore 759910
Tel:67567678 Fax:67566848

Central Regional Office
4545 Jalan Bukit Merah
Singapore 159466
Tel:68546400 Fax:62728814

North-East Regional Office
174 Sin Ming Drive
Singapore 575715
Tel:64553177 Fax:64582080

South-East Regional Office
70 Tannery Lane
Singapore 347810
Tel:67474811 Fax: 67473863

You can also write to us at:

Environmental Health Department
National Environment Agency
40 Scotts Road #21-00
ENV Building
Singapore 228231
7 Other frequently asked questions

1) I operate a pub/ discotheque and intend to have a drink counter selling alcoholic drinks. Do I need to apply for a licence?

Yes. You will need to apply for a food shop licence if you intend to operate a drink or snack counter in your premises.

2) I am a foreigner with a valid employment pass issued by MOM. Can I apply for the licence in my name?

No. You will have to form a company that is registered with the Accounting & Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) (formerly Registry of Companies and Business (RCB)) and apply for the licence in the companys name.

3) Can I update, renew or terminate my food shop licence through OBLS?

Yes. You may update, renew and terminate your foodshop licence through OBLS by going to

4) Where can I obtain information on the general design of a food retail outlet?

You may refer to the Code of Practice of Environmental Health at

5) My application for the licence is approved and the Regional Office has informed me of the in-principle approval. Can I commence the operation of my foodshop?

You can only commence the operation of the foodshop after we have verified that you have complied with all the health requirements and we have issued you with the licence.

6) What is the consequence if I am unable to comply with some of the hygiene requirements?

If you are unable to comply with any of our hygiene requirements, you will not be issued with the licence.

7) What will be the consequences if I provide false information in my application for a licence?

Providing false information in your application is a serious offence. Your licence can be suspended, cancelled or revoked. Enforcement action can also be taken against you.

8) I have taken over an existing food shop but I am unable to contact the previous licensee to surrender/cancel his licence for the same premises. How do I apply for the licence in this instance?

You can still submit your application together with all the supporting documents to us. However, for such cases, we will need to write to the previous licensee to confirm whether he is still operating the business at the said premises. If the previous licensee indicates that he is no longer operating the said premises or did not response, then we can proceed to process your application. The processing time for such cases will take about 2 weeks.

9) I intend to set up a food premises that make food items (eg. buns, breads, nasi lemak, otah etc) for supply to other food shops and food stalls. Do I need to apply for a food shop licence?

You need not apply for a food shop licence if your proposed food business does not involve the retail sale of food directly to the customers. However, you may need to obtain a food factory licence from Food Establishment Regulation Department (FERD), AVA for your proposed business.

10) Do I need to apply for a food shop licence if I were to prepare and cook food from my home for sale to the public?

Please be informed that under the current regulations, it is an offence to sell home cooked food to the public.